If home is where heart resides, then kitchen is the exact place in home where it takes its residence! Modular kitchens have slowly but surely become a necessity to a good life and great lifestyle. The most lived portion of any home, kitchen sees all the action – from preparing food, to entertaining guests, to having children complete their school work, to endless small but important tasks.
So, what are the things that a modular kitchen absolutely needs in order to make it a more comfy, and an overall better place?
Let’s look at the top 5 things that your kitchen would thank you for getting:
- Modular kitchens definitely need durable work surfaces. Laminates are a really good option – both cost-wise, as well as in terms of quality. That is what makes them one of the more popular choices as well. Other options could be solid wood, granite, and such, which would offer the perfect minimalistic look to your kitchen.
- Walls are the first casualty in the regular cases of food splatters in the modular kitchens. To clean them afterward is a huge task. So, go for a paint that offers much needed resistance to stains and grease. This will make your cleaning task really easy.
- The traditional dining space that used be completely kept separate from the kitchen are really a thing of the past now. Open kitchen is what’s trending now! Not just stylish to look at, but it also makes cooking and eating together really convenient. A dining table in the kitchen in addition makes it a perfectly sociable space in the house for guests too. If yours is a smaller kitchen and can’t take in a dining table, you could think about giving up some of the countertop space and use it as breakfast bar.
- Your kitchen like everything else in your life, should be technologically efficient, and more importantly, very updated. Whether it’s replacing your appliances after they’ve spent a long time with you with newer gadgets, or getting a wireless sound system to help you work – don’t hesitate to get it!
- And finally, your kitchen shouldn’t just be the place where you go cook, but where you relax as well. Kitchen, after all, is the heart of a home. So, if yours is a large kitchen, get a comfortable couch, where you can have your friends over, talk to them, and just have fun. Leather would be a good choice of material for the couch, as it would be easy to clean, and would absorb the cooking smells too.
We live in a world today where everything can be done for us. And in the time of the mighty Internet, we even get the ready product delivered right at our doorstep.
And it’s a good thing really!
But however ready and customized a product we might get, we always wish to add a little something extra from our own side – a final touch, if we might say so. The same goes for a kitchen. The most sacred place in our homes, we are indebted to our kitchens for our whole lives! And the least we can do is, give it our personal touch of design – our very own modular kitchen idea!
So then the question arises, how? How do we do it?
It’s quite simple actually. Here, take a look:
- When you buy cabinetry for your kitchen, remember that no rulebook says “the pricier, the better.” It’s fortunate for us that the most expensive thing doesn’t always be the best choice. But it’s a little stupid of us to somehow always fall for this trap. So, choose according to your taste, and what you think would go well with the interiors of your kitchen. Look for colors and the material used in making the cabinets, and then make a choice.
- When it comes to adding color to your kitchen, think long-term. Instead of going for a color that is the most popular, go with something that you personally feel comfortable with. Also, try to match it well with all the accessories that you’d be adding to your kitchen space. You could even take help of a professional in choosing the best combinations and hues for space – but don’t let them take the whole charge of it; tell them how you would like to perceive your kitchen.
- Choose to decorate your kitchen well. We think of putting beautiful showpieces in the drawing room, or apply feng shui to the bedroom, and so on. But, how often do we think of making our kitchen look really pretty? It’s one thing to have a basic hygiene, which is extremely important, and we’re sure you take care of it. But, it’s another thing to put effort, to say create a kitchen garden in the back, or have small pots installed in the kitchen, or have beautiful memories and pictures up the kitchen, etc.
A good designer will help you – no doubt about that; but for them to help you build your dream kitchen, you need to be as involved in the process as you can be. A modular kitchen idea is incomplete if doesn’t have the larger input from the owner of the kitchen!
Countertops are the first thing we see when we enter a kitchen, and to say that we have never really given much thought to making the counter space more creative and more lively, just seems so unimaginable! But, it is absolutely true!
Modern day modular kitchen designs, though, are incomplete without their countertops being livened up. And therefore, we have come here with more than just a few ways to revv up your kitchen countertop, and thereby your whole kitchen:
- Single colored countertops and cabinetry has almost always been a norm; so how about making the kitchen space a bit more lively? How about, having your countertop and cabinets in at least two contrasting colors? You could go for black and white – a bold choice that would be, nevertheless timelessly classic! Or, you could go for the refreshing lime green, sunny yellow, and such.
- Instead of a plain colored countertop, you could even opt for something that’s patterned. It would pique the interest of anybody who visits your kitchen even once! For this, one of your options could be going for a striped or textured stone material.
- Another way to introduce style to your kitchen would be by choosing a thick, that is around 3 – 5” thick countertop which gives your kitchen space a very stately look. You would, of course, have to adjust your cabinets’ heights accordingly, but it would be worth it!
- When does anyone have to have seconds thoughts about using wood in the kitchen? The answer is, never. And the reason is, the kind of warm and elegant look that wood is able to give to a kitchen space is absolutely unrivalled! Wood butcher block countertops give a very timeless and classic look to the kitchen space, which is almost alway like by one and all!
- While granite is quite the common option to choose for countertop materials, using stainless steel would be a refreshing choice to make! Not only would it give the kitchen a very different, yet fashionable look to your kitchen space!
- Zinc is another metallic option that you could go for, and see your countertop develop a beautiful blue tone; especially as water or oil spills over the countertop, over time, will give it a rich toned look – much like the countertop’s own distinct metallic signature!
- Going for a single color for your counter space, you could instead try something offbeat to make your modular kitchen design stand out from the crowd. You could choose a two-toned countertop, which would not only look extremely high-design but look like one of those really professional countertops found in chefs’ kitchens! You could use the combination of cold marble and stainless steel, or anything else you might deem fit!
The modular kitchen franchise that you deal with, you have to make sure to give them a good idea of how you’d like your kitchen to look like – and for that you have to know that the overall look itself is incomplete without adding a pinch of luxury to the space. There are of course, many ideas out there, and many others that you could try on your own, without depending on any samples or luxury kitchen literature out there in the market; but here we are, with a few ideas to help you get started on the idea:
- The first thing that comes to mind when thinking about a luxury kitchen is wood finish. It adds more than just a pinch of sophistication to any kitchen – whether it be modern, traditional, chic, rustic, or of any other theme. Ad not just elegance, but wood finish gives the kitchen a sense of warmth. Wood is definitely an amazing material to work with, if it’s luxury and comfort that you’re looking for.
- Mismatched colors and making good use of contrasting paints is another great way to go about making your kitchen look luxurious. Use more of neutral colors – colors like white and beige always have an air of simplicity and grandeur about them. But reds and blacks are royal colors; especially if you go with one of the bright colors and have alternate swatches of these mixed with swatches of light colors – it would give your kitchen a beautiful look.